March 25, 2011

Team rider

Wayne Reiche  Introduction

Solid, Stylish and Fearless – a few words that come to mind when watching Wayne ride his bike. He is an optimistic, versatile and creative rider who loves riding difficult lines, strange obstacles and boosting trails as he continues to push his capabilities. On and off his bike he strives for perfection, building immaculate crafted trails and never settling for a half decent trick. He’s a true ambassador to BMX and Cape Town as he continues to progress, motivate and give back to the scene. -  Albert Retief

 


Interview by Harold Brettenny


1. What was your reaction when you first got approached by DayLife?
  I was really keen, I am always supportive of people who take initiative to change a situation instead of just complaining. Daylife is a solid product thats filling a niche. I am looking forward to the future.

2. What or who inspired you to start BMX?
I started by jumping Mountain Bike and then moved onto BMX with my friend Gerhard Hoffman. Garth Carnell and John Coetzee really helped me out so much in the beginning.  Francois April, Nigel Morta and Tobie Groenewald had a big influence on me in the early years. Thank you to them all.

3. How long have u been riding??
  Over 11 Years Now

4. What has kept you riding for so long?
       Love

5. You have had a number of epic bails, which was the worst?
  Haha, Definitely had some testing times. The second Ankle Surgery I had was bad - Torn Ligaments, Broken Ankle and Tibia, Clean broken Fibula. I was on crutches for almost 5 months. Still have the plate and pins in. Breaking my coccyx last year was also really unpleasant haha

6. What are your top 5 spots to sesh?
  Gum Trails
  The Ditch
  Brackenfell Wall
  The Stellenbosch Shed
   Durbanville Municipality Pavements

7. What is the most random thing that has happened to you?
      I seem to be a magnet for random things. Attempted trail muggings, Sinking fishing boats in Angola, Road trip Stabbings, Tiny Town Hospital Visits, Farmer Gunpoint for trespassing, Serious Lamp Post Electrical Shocks …

8. You have been around in the SA BMX scene for a long time and have had an influence on a lot of riders, "spectators" , and Trails builders. What advise can u share with these people??
       Do things with Passion or not at all.

9. You have "owned" many spots you have ridden, which spot have you made your "BITCH" ! ? 
       I would like to think Gums. Also stunted the Ditch pretty hard. I don't think anyone can really own a spot though, there are so many good riders with many different styles.

10. What is your favourite trick at the moment.?
      Tyreslides and Flairs

11. Which international riders inspire you?
  Mike Aitken and Joe Rich for their amazing riding and there positive attitude towards to life. Brian Yeagle, Geoff Slattery, Dan Foley, Chase Hawk,

12. Seen as you are a "Trails Suzie" ,  what has been the best day at the trails?
      I have had so many truly amazing days over the years. An average belter day would be a gentle sunny, windless Winters Day. Some prepping followed by a good session with the boys. A little meat on a trails braai with a cold blackie watching the Sunset.

13. What are your feelings on the DayLife products??
      I am stoked. Products are as solid as any overseas product. The front hub is pure butter! Local is Lekker!!

14. What music do u enjoy riding to?
      Classic rock, Folk rock and Post Rock do it for me. Led Zepplin, Joy Division, Red Sparrowes, Russian Circles, Dire Straits, Doors, CCR, Black Sabbath …

15. Do u think u would have been a badass trooper if u had to go to the army :) ? 
      YES!!! Would of definitely tried to be a Recce

16. What are your feelings on the term "GTL"?
Strong. I have a lot of respect for anyone who dedicates a lot of time into a passion - Trails, Art or Anything. Putting in a lot of hard work makes one savour the finished product that much more. The GTL crew is small but really tight and thats the way I like it. Dirt, Laughing, Braai and Beers - You can't go wrong with that combination . We keep each other rolling no matter what. GTL!!!

17. Any last words??
Get out there and do things. And then Lots of Thank You's - Family. Daylife, The Riot, Iron Fist and DC Shoes for all their help. All the guys I ride and skate with. Jon Sherwood. James Brawn for everything he does for the Cape Town Scene without people even realizing and always helping me out. Eric Palmer for taking rad Pictures. NSC. BP. GTL

Reiche - Wallride to table at one of his fav spots
Photo by Sam Clark

 Bike check !!



Frame: United Forte 21"  (Thanks Kye)
Fork: Odyssey Race
Bars: Sunday Triumph
Stem: Daylife
Headset: Mix
Front Wheel: Odyssey Hazard  36, Odyssey Aitken Tyre Laced onto a Daylife Hub (Thanks Harold for building them true)
Back Wheel: Odyssey Hazard 36, Odyssey Aitken Tyre Laced onto a Odyssey V3 Cassette
Chain: KMC
Seat:  Giant Pivotal
Seatpost:  ?? Something out of Colin Loudon's Garage
Brakes: Odyssey Lever pulling Fly Brakes
Sprocket: Daylife
Cranks: Primo Powerbites
Pedals: Odyssey Trailmix


      "I like my bike to feel worn in and usually ride my parts till they are totally thrashed".


BIG THANKS too Wayne and everyone els who helped out with this interview.!

Next team update with Jacques Mulder !!

No comments:

Post a Comment